Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Practicing Paying Attention

We think we are paying attention...we really do.  Yet the sunset and the full moon, the smell of the ocean or the cool breeze across our skin often goes unnoticed. It is all there for  us to notice... yet many of us miss it everyday.  It is important on Shabbat to just be...to be here with no need to get somewhere else.  To be present...to be here and now in the moment.

I used to work in Boston and chose to park my car in the garage under the Boston Common. It wasn't the cheapest, although it was pretty convenient.  It offered me the daily opportunity to walk through the Public Gardens on the way to my office.  Everyday each, each way I started my day with a walk through this beautiful setting - a heaven in the midst of urbana.

I could literally stop and smell the roses. It was important to me to recognize the holiness of that place and to breathe it in.  Shabbat offers us that space to find holiness in our lives...Meditation offers us skills to pay attention to that holiness...and to savor it.

Be present.

No comments:

Post a Comment